Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My "Bucket Filler"

Last week I received an email from my retired nursling's teacher stating that she was selected for citizen of the month because out of all the students in her class she displayed the Value of the Month: Cooperation. I was surprised! My daughter cooperates? I replied asking for the day and time of the awards and I promptly email our family to let them know just in case they wanted to go.

Well today was the day! We were so proud. She woke up before me (and the sun), picked out her own clothes, ate breakfast, brushed her teeth, got dressed all with out me having to say a word!

The ceremony wasn't until 9 but her school starts at 8, so I dropped her off then ran her little sister the sitter's. I didn't tell her but her Papa (grandfather) was going to be there as well and he was waiting at the school while I dropped off her sister.

My daughter goes to a christian faith preschool so the ceremony was held during chapel (mass). We sang songs and prayed for our day and our friends and family and then the principle came forward to give her announcements. She started by explaining what a "bucket filler" was and its pretty much someone does nice things for other people. Very sweet concept to have inside of a school. Then she started to read why each child was selected and cue the tears (for me anyways):

"I received a phone call one day from Mrs (teacher name) stating that she had someone in her class that she wanted recognized today. For those of you who do not know Mrs (teacher name) teachers the pre-kindergartners. She told me that there was a student having a particular rough time understanding the concept of losing a game. This student was in tears and could not understand why he could not win every time. Another student came over and told the child who was sad with disappointment that "its okay we can always play again next time. You can do better next time. Its okay you do not have to cry its just a game and you tried and that's the best part" This student rubbed his back and sat with him until he was feeling better. This whole process took about 10 minutes but Mrs (teacher name) felt that the was a good way to fill a bucket. The words were kind and gentle and it make her classmate feel better and when she was done she helped the other kids pick up their centers. Today it is my honor to give RN this award of citizen of the month"

I teared up I think that her Papa teared up too although he would never admit it. I know she is good kid and we try to be a good example of how to act and treat people. Some days I honestly think I have failed my children and myself in this whole gentle parenting journey but today was complete affirmation to keep going because even on the bad days she's getting it and I am getting it and we are getting it together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments with me!